Sunday, November 27, 2005

Resources for help with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

I have received a few requests for help with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) from my readers and some of the people that I talk to locally. I thought I'd list some links to resources as well as some more information on what PTSD is.

The first thing that I suggest to the folks that I talk to is seek out your Chaplin or someone that you trust to talk with about your feelings. Not all of the feelings that you experience after returning from a war zone are true PTSD but may just be a reaction to the extreme change in environment. I always suggest that a person seek help and not try to handle this alone because you never know what might develop if you don't get your adjustment problems worked out in a timely manner.

The Community counseling Center on post along with the VA are wonderful places to start for either the person suffering from stress or depression or their family.

You might think that soldiers are more prone to suffering from PTSD but in my experience I have found that women that were raped or abused are much more common. This could be because of the training that a soldier receives helps them to deal with the harsh situations that they face but nobody really knows.

What I'm getting at is that this can happen to anybody at any time for many different reasons. Don't let it control your life, attack this issue by seeking help before it causes harm to your family, your career or yourself.

Help is out there!
Links:
I am not a health care professional, I am just a simple soldier that has been asked for help and I am trying to offer it in any way I can. Please seek help for you or your loved ones no matter how or where they experienced their traumatic incident or how long ago it was. All we have is each other.


Technorati Tags : , , , , , , , ,

No comments: