Saturday, April 29, 2006

What going to war has done to me.

Going to Iraq had a major impact on my life. While war is a nasty and terrible thing, it has opened my eyes to many things and I am grateful for that experience.
During my time in Iraq I felt that I was actually doing something important and that my actions made an impact on everybody around me.
My fellow soldiers looked to me for guidance and at times protection and the people in the villages that we helped looked to us for help building their new nation.
I will never be the same person again and for that I am grateful.
There were times when you didn't know if you'd see tomorrow and I wasn't even in the worst of it. Rockets would come in while you were in the porta-john and shake the plastic walls that gave no protection from fragments....what a way to die! I spent my time on convoy duty and civil affairs missions and from time to time rockets and mortars would fly over your head or we find that we missed getting caught in an ambush by seconds.
After all of this I haven't become addicted to drugs, I don't drink more than a beer a week, I'm not afraid of going outside and I have never hit my wife but I have changed.
I know that it could all come to an end at any second so I'd better make every second that I have count. I love my family more than I ever thought I could, I know I can do anything that I put my mind to, I watch what happens around me and try to help make things better when I can.
There will be a time when I must leave my home and return to combat, after all I did pick a combat related job and not a nice office chair like some, but I will do it with my head held high knowing that no matter what anybody else thinks, the person to my left or right knows that I can do my job well and that they can count on me no matter what.

Technorati Tags : , , , , , , , ,

No comments: